Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cleaning Up

We have 8 days till we leave for Africa. It's not quite registering yet but the fact still remains we are leaving. We have our bags packed, we're ready to go, we're standing here, outside the door of the restaurant ( you thought Peter, Paul and Mary, right?) feeling really bloated.

Why do we do that?

Why do we go out to eat and stuff ourselves?

Is there some unwritten rule that says we have to eat everything that is set in front of us? I mean every last morsel of food on the plate.

Growing up, my mother harped at me to eat everything on my plate because of the starving children over seas. It didn't make sense to me that mother would make me eat all the food when she could send it to those starving children instead. None-the-less I ate it all. She would demand I "clean up" my plate.

Maybe it was that early training for cleaning up my plate that prepared me for my eating habits today. I would hate to think that my mother only wanted me to do that so she didn't need to scrape food into the waste can. I just can't seem to help myself though. I must eat whatever is on my plate.

It doesn't matter how much is on my plate, I have got to finish everything. Heaven forbid that I would waste a single bite of food. I must set a good example for my kids as well. How would it look to them if I left food on my plate and they were expected to clean up their plates?

I will eat a huge helping of food even if I can't possibly eat it. Why? Because somewhere out there my mother is watching, saying "I'll bet those starving children overseas would love to have that food to eat!" and so I bow my head, pick up my fork and continue to shovel it in. Moaning afterwards, "ooooooohhhhhh, why did I eat so much food?"

So, as I was saying earlier; our bellies are packed, we're ready to go. We're standing here, outside the restaurant door ..... (music in the background)

Dave says it's the right sized portion. Aaron says it the America sized portions, Shalom says the plate sizes are too large. Tara says you get a to go box, ya know?

I just hear my mother telling me to clean up that food.

No comments:

Post a Comment