Thursday, December 24, 2009

Just How Serious Are You?

I just finished writing to a brother and sister in South Dakota and felt moved to post some of it here today. Here it is.

I am looking to God to go much deeper and pursue those things he wants me to. I was convicted by another Oswald Chambers devotion and can't get it out of my mind. I had to share it with you.

If there is a prayer for me, you can pray that God will keep me convicted of slothfulness and disobedience so as to propel me into his obedience in everything that I see, touch and hear. I want to be pure in everything with God so as not to miss anything spiritual he has for me. I want a closer relationship with him everyday. I want to see the things that eyes do not always see and hear his voice and if possible, look into his face and behold him as he really is.

Oswald Chambers - December 23, 2009
Sharing in the Atonement

God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14

The gospel of Jesus Christ always forces a decision of our will. Have I accepted God’s verdict on sin as judged on the Cross of Christ? Do I have even the slightest interest in the death of Jesus? Do I want to be identified with His death— to be completely dead to all interest in sin, worldliness, and self? Do I long to be so closely identified with Jesus that I am of no value for anything except Him and His purposes?

The great privilege of discipleship is that I can commit myself under the banner of His Cross, and that means death to sin. You must get alone with Jesus and either decide to tell Him that you do not want sin to die out in you, or that at any cost you want to be identified with His death. When you act in confident faith in what our Lord did on the cross, a supernatural identification with His death takes place immediately. And you will come to know through a higher knowledge that your old life was "crucified with Him" (Romans 6:6 ). The proof that your old life is dead, having been "crucified with Christ" ( Galatians 2:20  ), is the amazing ease with which the life of God in you now enables you to obey the voice of Jesus Christ.

Every once in a while our Lord gives us a glimpse of what we would be like if it were not for Him. This is a confirmation of what He said— ". . . without Me you can do nothing" ( John 15:5  ). That is why the underlying foundation of Christianity is personal, passionate devotion to the Lord Jesus. We mistake the joy of our first introduction into God’s kingdom as His purpose for getting us there. Yet God’s purpose in getting us into His kingdom is that we may realize all that identification with Jesus Christ means.

Don't miss what he is saying here!

The reality of a relationship with God is utmost and the highest calling we have. If we trade that opportunity for a life of our own pleasures and well being in the world of words and good intentions, as religious prigs, then we have wasted our lives and we are worth nothing to God but to be thrown into the fire and used as fuel for it.

I can do nothing but to throw myself down upon the mercy of God and plead for his life to fill me every day. I can see nothing but darkness in my inner being without the life giving light of God shinning through my being, to illuminate it and purify it with its radiant glow, pushing out all of the uncleanness that is there.

We have come to a place where there is a great measure of seriousness about taking the Lords name vain if we cannot be serious about doing what he has commanded. Like Oswald has said, "Do I have even the slightest interest in the death of Jesus?" I pray that we have all of our interest in Him and nothing of interest for our own pleasurable lives in this world.

This world is filled with beautiful flowing words of interest in ourselves to the destruction of our lives, when we listen to them and follow them. There is but One to follow and His words are the words of life. His work is to make us righteous in the eyes of God so that we might be saved every day from ourselves, the world and the devil.

His mercies are new every day and his purpose never changes. Take an opportunity this season to find out where you are with God. Don't be mistaken. He will not overlook your lack of seriousness and diligence. He will not be slack in his judgment of us. He will see into the depths of our hearts and recognize a heart that is created by him, living within us, looking to him for everything good and everlasting. He will be merciful to that one, who recognizes the futility of living for self and lays down his life for a relationship with the creator. Do not be deceived. God is true and his words are true and his life is abundant for those who dwell in him and follow him.

May you find him and find the gift of life in him together and forever. May God provide for you the gift of everlasting life in him with others as well. Diligently seek him and look for those who have him as their life. Don't loose hope but, do pursue a life with the church (the gathered saints of God) so you can grow in the character of God and live a joyous life spent upon loving them and being loved by them.

All of the blessing of God I pray for you this season and take this time to love each other, look to God, and expect him to change your lives as you submit yourselves to his life.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment