Wednesday, May 23, 2018

I Need a Factory Reset

In the computer industry there is a process known as a Factory Reset to wipe clean the hard drive and install over with a fresh and clean set of operating software. This process allows you to be rid of anything that has developed in your file systems which can cause your computer to act erratically. It solves all the problems of missing, broken and mis-configured software elements. Once this reset is completed your computer is restored to the originally created environment it came with from the manufacturer.

However, there is a catch to all this Factory Reset process. You have to be willing to sacrifice all the information you may have created or installed after receiving your originally configured device. Cell Phones and other devices have this same capability. Unless you back up your personal information before doing this you will have to "start over" with your device.

The saving grace of this is that you have a fresh, clean, and like new computer again. Everything runs and operates like it was intended to when you first got your device.

Now, think about this process in terms of your spiritual relationship with God. There is a process of Factory Reset that can be done in the spiritual realm. Jesus called it "being Born Again". John records an account of Nicodemus coming to Jesus and finding out there was a way to start over. He is a bit confused at first because he cannot understand how this actually happens. (They didn't have the computer technology we have today.) So, after a few exchanges of thoughts Jesus tells him that he must be born again in order to see the Kingdom of God. He wanted to be saved and see the Kingdom of God.

This encounter with Jesus shakes Nicodemus to the core because he comes to realize that everything in his past and present must be forsaken. He must repent of it all and start over with a new set of eyes, ears and heart. Everything will be wiped clean and he will be starting over fresh. He will be programmed to operate as a disciple of Jesus Christ and receive power from the Holy Spirit to enable him to follow the instructions of Jesus.

On top of all that, he doesn't yet know, but will discover he needs to be baptized and enter into a whole new relationship with the Church that will be born out of Christ. He will have a completely new life inside of Jesus and the Church.

This analogy came to me as I am contemplating a reset in my own life. My life has become clogged with things that were not designed for it to operated correctly. Don't take this the wrong way. I am not a heathen or unbeliever but I can sure act that way and have to the point of needing a reset in my own life. I need that fresh and clean process of starting over with Jesus. I need that touch from Him and the Holy Spirit in order to be cleansed new again.

Over 30 years of learning and experiencing the Christian life as a person who does believe in God and His Son Jesus Christ, acknowledging Him as Lord and Saviour, going to church, living in a Christian community, sitting under the teaching of several men, years of Bible reading and studies, and most of all, trying to figure it out but forgetting that it is not what I really need. Why? Because most all of it has been done by myself, in my own strength and understanding.

There is a clarification that needs to happen here. I need salvation from myself and my ways. I want to repent from my ways, thoughts, and desires and give all of that up for disposal in the reset process. I need my operating system wiped clean and start over again. If not, I am heading for a hard drive crash. There are already indications that this device has suffered damage. It has been hacked and taken hostage by malware and viruses. There is no longer any anti-virus corrections that can be applied to fix this. I need a factory reset.

I know this is kind of a cute and light feeling blog post but I am really serious about needing this touch from God. I don't want to be this way anymore. I am done with where I am. I'm not where I need to be and I know what it is going to take to be right. There is a lot of hard work involved with this process and I don't know everything that is gong to need to happen, but what else do I have to look forward to if I don't?

As I am going through this process myself, I can't help think there are others that are in the same condition. I would ask you to consider where you are at in your walk with God. Are you really obeying Christs commands and living your life as a disciple of Christ? Are you in honesty and sincerity living the life that honors God and demonstrates the love of Jesus? Are you pretending you are letting God control your life while all the time actually being the one in the drivers seat? Are your thoughts and ways His thoughts and ways? Are you one with Him and the church?

If you are thinking you are or wondering if you are I would ask that you pray and ask God to reveal who you really are and what you are really doing. You may find out you are not as holy and righteous as you think you are. You, too, may need a Factory Reset.

No comments:

Post a Comment