Saturday, July 13, 2013

Judging Ourselves

Often I find comfort and wisdom in other peoples blogs that I follow and this is one of them. This answers a lot of those questions about why things are the way they are with people who seemed to have no restraint and why I act the way I do sometimes. It isn't that I think Christ's disciples are trying to disobey God, (if they are truly Christ's disciples) it is that they forget, or haven't learned or been taught. If they are honest about following Jesus and obeying him they will cry out to Him and find grace to provide a way out of sin.

So, in this re-post of AOP's homeschooling blog I was made more keenly aware of the importance of judging ourselves. I believe you will be too.
You Be The Judge:
Let's face it. When you live together 24/7, a homeschooling family is bound to have disagreements and disputes. Our family was no exception. Daily, I found myself settling conflicts between my children over insignificant issues. While they were young, I realized my direct involvement was necessary in helping my children talk out their differences. However, as they grew older, I encouraged my children to resolve more and more of their own conflicts. Instead of me listening to their complaints and acting as a judge and jury, they learned to take responsibility for their actions and resolve their hurts and disagreements in Christ-like love. As my role became less, my children learned a valuable lesson — judging their actions honestly before God usually eliminated others from having to do so.
As Christians, the Bible also commands us to judge ourselves. To judge ourselves rightly, we must lose the total self-life that seeks only to please itself. Judging our actions and thoughts in the light of God's Word, we become Christ-conscious, not self-conscious. Just as importantly, we become Christ-controlled rather than self-controlled. All that is selfish is laid at the feet of Jesus as we recognize that in our self "dwelleth no good thing" (Romans 7:18). Judging ourselves also involves valuing others as better than ourselves (Philippians 2:3) and becoming selfless instead of practicing self-esteem.

What about you? Do you have trouble with your fleshly nature that cries out to please itself? Homeschooling can bring out the worst in our character as we face the daily pressures of raising a family and teaching them at home. If you find yourself demanding that everything go according to your plans in order to make your own life easier, you may want to follow some good advice: "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged" (1 Corinthians 11:31).

Lord, examine my selfish heart and reveal those things that fail to honor You. Please, forgive me when I fail to act like Your servant and show me again how I can consider the members of my own family as more important than me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

To find more daily devotions and posts of inspiration go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment