Friday, November 23, 2012

Shallowness of Character


This is a repost of Oswald Chambers Devotional that got me to thinking about how many times I might act like this. We are creatures of habit and the more we think of ourselves as above others, more profound than others and elevate ourselves above all others, the deeper in trouble we sink. 

The trouble being that we don't thin of ourselves the way we ought to. We don't see ourselves in Christ. Hidden and covered by his righteousness. There are definite times for being reserved and quiet but for the most part we need to loosen up and stop being so stiff. You know what I mean. That posture of aloofness and disconnect. The "that's too beneath me" look and feel.

I am going to work on that being the abnormal behavior for myself. I want to be connected and involved in peoples lives. Sometimes I feel inadequate among those I count as specially blessed of God and withdraw into my own little room in my head. Other times I have obtained some thought about myself that exalts itself above all others. It competes with God and I don't want to do that. I don't want to compete with anyone, actually. I just want to be free to be who God made me and life this joyous life for all that God designed it to be.

How about you? How does this practically work out in your life?



1 comment:


  1. Thank you for the post Doug. This will be a word to help me put some of my thoughts in the proper place.

    P.S. I was finally baptized today!
    For so long I let pride push away my taking initiative, thinking it wasn't the right place or time for me. Thank God He opened my eyes! “A disciple is not above his teacher . . .” (Matthew 10:24).

    love micah

    ReplyDelete