Thursday, September 6, 2012

Needing Income and Looking for a Job

Good Friends in Kenya
Looking for a job is a daunting task. I have helped a lot of people find jobs but, not be on the search myself. I have always seemed to have something to produce income, so as not to worry about making a living. However, in the past year I have had to trust God for my income more and more.

My needs are not huge with respect to finances. We have no real debt other than back rent for two months. I have been able to make ends meet for quite a while. Usually I sell some things on eBay, help on the farm, do computer repair or take up a position with one of the businesses here in the village for a while. So far that has been able to meet my obligations. That is not the case any more.

I just returned from Kenya, where we were for the past two months and having a job wasn't a priority there. We had saved up for the trip and Tara was able to help on the farm to provide for the very basic needs we had here at home. Mostly some bills, gas and living expenses for her and the kids. She was awesome, in spite of her Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever attack and diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis pain and inflammation. As well, the men in our clan came to the rescue and helped supplement our needs during my absence. My sincerest thanks and appreciation goes to every single man here for helping us and being available to assist my wife during those two months.

2011 Kenya Mission Trip
But now, I am back and need to find a source of income that doesn't center on donations from clan men and my wife working her arms and legs off. I need to hear what God has for me and find work to provide for my family as a part of the Church here. I believe every man would agree that a husband and a father should be about taking care of his family. Providing for the needs of my wife and children is paramount right now. So the search is on.


In this new age of technology driven information exchange, there seems to be a new vehicle for locating and applying for a job. It is based on the internet and carries it's own set of protocols. You still need a resume and cover letter, styled and geared for the particular job or career opportunity you are applying for, but there is an even greater need for being connected that come into play. Facebook, Linked-In, Google, YouTube and every other point of social networking is used to find and secure a job. Somehow, I am not plugged into those venues. Imagine that?


Well, I have applied for 5 or 6 jobs in this immediate area so far. I applied at Kimberly Clark, Fred's, AT&T, Bed Bath and Beyond, All-State and  Wal-Mart . I got rejected from Wal-Mart as a prospective internal investigator but I'm not too upset about that. I was thinking that being a greeter was fun, but I hear they aren't doing that any more. At least not here, in this area. I like meeting people and helping them so I'm a bit disappointed with that. Oh, well.

I'm on for the next round of applications and looking at how to get this social network going. I'm not sure how that will help but it seems to be one of the things I am being told to do by the recruiting sites I have visited. Any thoughts on that?

I'm trying to think of jobs that could fit into some of the areas of expertise I own, such as whistling, driving to  Wal-Mart,  talking to people, putting together schedules, drinking coffee and eating hot dogs. I don't seem to find any of those jobs out there. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Maybe a bus driver? or a taxi-cab operator? Policeman? Hot-dog Vendor? I'm gonna check those out as soon as I am done with this blog. The Internet is a fascinating tool for research. Google can tell me almost anything I want to know. It just hasn't told me where my next source of income is at.

I'm looking so if you can think of something or have some ideas, let me know. It will be much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Doug.
    I am job hunting. I did not know that applications is only done online now. Ugh . The job needs to fit in the hours of working some mornings some evenings cause of watching grand children during other times. Along with things you named. Gonna be tough finding a job to fit in. . Anyway God will take care of you. Yea I did notice that Google does not have all the answers. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I ain't got no ideas but I do know that we love and miss you so much. If you get the hot dog vendor job I will come hang out with you! Oh, man what I wouldn't give for a big ole ball park hot dog or even a cold dog for that matter. Give your wonderful family all our love. Much, much love David ,,,aka Noah, abba, and hey you.

    ReplyDelete