Sunday, January 3, 2010

He is the Vine, We are the Branches

As we think about the many ways of defining the church and how it functions, we look at many various examples and see many that call us to mind of the connection we have to one another in the life of Christ.

We have the example of the body with all it's appendages and parts working together to take care of the whole. How each member is dependent upon the others for the care of the others. How we are connected by nerves and blood vessels and skin covers us and holds us together. Each part, each cell must function so that the others can exist and do what they are to designed to do.

We have the pictures of multitudes of stars in the heavens, too numerous to count. We have the picture of the family with the father, mother and children in an unending genealogy of historical lineage. We have the picture of the grains of sand on the sea, the fish in it, the birds of the air, the grass and wheat of the fields.

I am partial to the example Jesus gave about the vine and the branches in John 15. He said, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman ... As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.  If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit" 

The picture is one that shows how fragile we are in relation to all the things around us that would like to see us destroyed and thrown away, cut off from the source of life. It shows the simplistic form of dependency we have upon the vine and how many branches are able to grow from the one vine. It shows how when a branch is connected to the vine it can produce much fruit and be useful to the husbandman. It shows how even branches that are not from the original vine and be grafted in and produce fruit. It shows how a branch can be broken off and separated from the vine, left to perish if not mended and grafted back in. It shows how the branched that are not producing fruit can be cut off and thrown away. Good only for firewood. It shows the very essence of life as it flows through the vine and into the branches for the production of the fruit. It shows how connected every branch is to the vine so as to make you the whole of the vineyard. It shows how the branch cannot produce fruit on its own without a connection to the vine. There is the dependency of the branch for the production of anything worthwhile.

As he compares this vineyard to us, his followers he goes on to say, "so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."

There is a rule of life that is present in the growth of a vine and its branches. The branches cannot live unless they are attached to the vine and the life flow of the live passes through the branches. It is a command that the branch receive the life of the vine or else it cannot live. There is an abiding,  a joy, a fullness of that life that springs forth from the branches in the fashion of fruit. In that fruit are seeds of that life that can then be passed on to other soil and grow into another extension of that vine. The passing on of the love of God into the hearts of others. A life and growth of that life taking root and growing into a life filled with the life of the vine.

In the simple practicality of it all Jesus tells us how we should be able to continue with him in this life as branches of the vine. He says' "This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. These things I command you, that ye love one another."

The life that flows from him is the love that flows through the father into him and then into us and then into one another. The overflow of that love is what others see and taste in the fruit of the vine. We become a sweet savor of wine, crushed and pured out for those who would come and taste of the goodness of the Lord.

Feeling a little bit independent and sure of yourself being able to live your own life the way you think it should be done? Well remember the branched that were cut off and separated from the life of the vine. They didn't take root and start producing fruit on their own. They had no vine to receive life from. They died and withered and were useful only for the fire. As will our lives be if we become separated from the vine.

Learn from the vine and the branches story. See that there is a connection to each other that cannot be severed or separated without the promise of death. Take seriously the life that has been given you and grow. The life and love of the vine will produce an overflow of that life blood in the vine. You will produce fruit and be useful for the husbandman to give that fruit to others. A magnificent display of the love and care of God will be produced through you for the rest of the world to know how great is our God!






No comments:

Post a Comment